In this article we are going to determine the benefits that can be established by the so-called cross training. This training consists of interspersing a sports discipline other than running, in order to achieve an improvement in our career. In this case the intercalated discipline is swimming with Lifeguard Training.
Swimming will allow us to establish a series of parameters and variations in our training that will determine an improvement, as a final result, in our running race.
ADVANTAGES OF TRAINING SWIMMING
Improvement of aerobic capacity, essential to establish the “foundations” of a good runner.
It will generate an increase in cardiac output and blood volume, as well as an improvement in blood capillarization.
Physically, it increases your cardiovascular capacity, significantly increasing the quality of our running performance.
Increased our lung capacity. By training in an aqueous medium, it will be noticeably improved, increasing the volume of our lungs, essential to improve our aerobic capacity in the race.
A series of trainings can be established in which the absence of oxygen uptake is involved in different ways (realization of apneas):
- Realization of diving series (for example, 4 x 25 meters with a certain rest time between each of the series, depending on the level of the person)
- Stand statically, without displacement in the water.
- Swim breathing every certain number of strokes (for example, 3 x 50 meters breathing the first set every 3 strokes, the second set every 5 strokes and the third set every 7.)
It is important to note that apneas must be supervised by a person from the outside to avoid the possibility of generating an accident in the water (because if you are not an expert swimmer, being in an environment that is not controlled some caution should be exercised).
- Under minimal technical control, it is much less harmful than other sports, since there is no impact with the ground, thus not generating injuries to the joints. It is important to note that the weight of a person is reduced by up to 90% compared to what they have outside of the water, being able to carry out movements that we could not do outside of it.
- It is a very complete physical exercise, since you work with all the muscles of the body, from the neck to the tips of the feet, with the consequent expenditure of calories, and, therefore, the maintenance of an optimal state of physical fitness. for the running of the foot race.
- Swimming involves most of the muscles of the body, not only the lower body, but also the upper body, which is very important when it comes to maintaining a good running technique, as well as to maintain an optimal position and coordination of it. . The potentiation of the muscular groups will be generated, both of the upper chain, and of the lower one. The legs can be worked through series of feet with the use of different materials (boards, fins, etc…).
Power for your legs
This type of training based only on the legs in the water, will help us to strengthen them for the race, but the advantage of not suffering any type of impact on the joints, an aspect mentioned in one of the previous sections.
Swimming can be practiced in different ways, adapting to the individual needs of each person. Not only will we be able to train it in the traditional way, but we will also be able to carry out series in which they are only involved:
The lower body, by using only the legs (use of swim boards).
In turn, we can involve materials that make us increase their power, such as the use of fins, which imply the use of greater force by the legs to be able to move them.
The upper body, by using only the arms (use of pull-boy and/or blades). With this method, we do not move our legs and we will only move by using our arms. As we have already mentioned before, a good muscular formation of the arms and trunk is very important for a good running technique (especially for sprinters).
In each training we will incorporate a session in which our joints will not suffer any type of impact. Very important in the case of athletes, since their lower joints are continuously suffering impacts against the ground, since very repetitive movements are made
run in the water
Within the training in the water, we can practice the race. We will need the help of a flotation belt, which will help us maintain a vertical position in the water.